Thursday 12 September 2013

Day 96: Port St Johns to The Kraal

My leaving morning view.
Jungle Monkey Backpackers. I recommend it if you need a place to stay in the area.


My target within the next two days was Coffee Bay. Wow, that so would not happen and looking back, it was wonderful how it didn’t. I asked some question about the road towards coffee bay as there were pretty much none in my map book, except riding down from the N2 which I had no intention of doing. I was going to stick to the coastal area as much as possible. I was told to check out The Kraal which was about 43kms away and then from there get further directions to Coffee Bay. Sounded solid plus The Kraal sounded cool also. I said cheers to the owners and the people who were also heading towards Coffee Bay saying, id see them in 2 days. Haha. So off I went up the R61 towards Mthatha for 20kms. This was pretty hilly and sweat pig was there again. This took me to Tombo where I turned left and went back towards to the coast. This would be the start of gravel roads for me for the next week and a bit.


Sweat pig was happy about having some shade.
The first 10kms I was happy to find were generally downhill and even though it was gravel, the ruggedness of the area gave this whole section the feeling of real adventuring, if you know what I mean. The last 13kms or so were more hilly and I had to pay careful attention to some of the signs which were a bit few and far between but luckily I made it to the road that runs atop a hill overlooking the ocean. The view was amazing. I came across another place to stay and wanted to know what they were charging but the owner wasn’t there. So I carried on to the Kraal.
Always fun on a bike.


Heya Kids.
Kraal is just over there, somewhere.
Last stretch.
Always great to have such a view of the ocean.

That there people is The Kraal. GO visit!!!!
Slightly shifted. to get that road in there.


The Kraal was awesome. This quaint secluded collection of kraal guest lodges, a camping site, with a communal cooking and resting area, which is pretty much off the grid. It uses rain water so you must be sparing when you are there. It is situated nearby the estuary that flows into the ocean where its easily within walking distance to check out the beach and chill.  The owner was super chilled and showed me around before I set my camp up. I then went into the communal area and met a lovely couple from Cape Town who invited me to join them for some crayfish and salad lunch. Hell yes!! It was delicious and I also got to meet their sons. I thanked them before deciding to walk down to the beach and check this place out. So I slowly made my way down past some other houses and I was back on the beach.
The Kraal cock.
You can stay in one of these.

Entrance to communal area.
Communal area. Kitchen upper left.
Outside view. How awesome is this place?!?!
It was such a lovely area and it was fun to walk over the rocks getting to the beach on the other side. I was also pleased to meet another awesome couple and their family from Kokstad who invited me to supper that night. Hell, yes again. So I said cheers and carried on towards Mpande beach I believe where I had another swim. Bit chilly by now but still refreshing. Then it was a slow walk back to The Kraal. I walked past a couple houses which are awesome get away places with amazing views overlooking Mpande Beach. Man part of me wanted a place like this to call my own. Or just to have access to one whenever I wanted.
While I was back at the kraal another couple, Waybe and Julie, came through and they walked around checking the place out. Turns out they were with the other couple that I would be having dinner with. Also a friendly bunch. So after a bit of lying down and after the sun had set I headed out to meet them.

Doing a bit of beach scouting.








Awesomely placed getaway houses.




I was lucky enough to be eating more crayfish and it was as delicious as the ones I had at lunch. I realized I had never had this much crayfish in one day in my life. They were a lovely family to be enjoying dinner with. And it turns out that the husbands are avid cyclists themselves and I learned a thing or two about some various bike competitions which they had done. It was about 10oclock when I thanked and said goodbye to my guest who also said I can pop in for breakfast tomorrow if I wanted. For sure I said. Then it was sleep time.
Smells good. Tasted even better.

Thanks for the awesome evening everyone!!! Wayne, Julie, Brett and Beth with kids and random gingerbeard.
Distance 43 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment