Friday 6 September 2013

Day 50: Pafuri Gate to Ndihvo’s place

I was now on my way back to Cape Town. The first 18kms or so were going back to Masisi before I headed left going down in the general direction of Thohoyandou. I was surprised to find that the road leaving Masisi was tarred asit wasnt indicated as so in my map book, but after 6kms it returned to being gravel. But it turned out well enough. The area quickly became very hilly going up and down through valleys and such. The scenery was lovely to ride through with houses and communities peppered throughout. This was my first actual part of the trip where the road was very up and down and the ups slowly began to take their toll on me.
Nothing like a cuppa joe to get you going.
Just after the tar road leaving Masisi.
Lots of little up and down sections. Kept the riding different.
I decided I needed something like a coke to drink so I found a bottle store and went in. Only ones they had were the large 1.25l bottles. I had thought to drink half right away and drink the other half whilst riding but I realized I needed that whole bottle right there so down it went. While there I shared in the company of 3 other guys who were sitting there enjoying their drinks. One said nothing. The other spoke a lot. His name was Saxon and the other was there to remind Saxon to stop talking so much to me. It was fine either way. Feeling rested I carried on.
Saxton in blue pants. Other guy was the one telling him not to talk so much.
Guy on left didnt say a word.
Faaaarrrrrrken hills!!!!
Happy hills.
Getting out and on top.
I stopped at the one police station and asked where about I was with regards to my map as well as finding out the most direct way to the next section of tar road. I got my answers and headed off. I then came to another section of tar road which made things easier. I cannot remember the towns or villages I was riding through but there were a handful. I stopped to watch a soccer game for a few minutes also.
I was now in the general area of where I was supposed to make a left turn somewhere but I wasn’t really feeling that up to it. It was now time to find a place to sleep. I was double checking the directions with a couple of people when this guy also joined. He helped me out big time. He could also speak English which made it hell of a lot easier for me to converse plus he offered me a place to stay. Awesome.
Looks like a down hill approaching.
Looking back at the road I had just taken.
Panorama!!!
Some of the local houses.
Kind of where I would be going through the next day.
I think this was near where I called it a day.
His name was Ndivho and he busy looking after one of his friends places so he said I could just stay there for the night also. I met is brother and cousin who also brought some sugarcane over which I devoured. It was the first of many sugarcane devouring that would take place over the next few weeks.
Chowing sugar cane with Ndivho (back), his brother (yellow jersey) and his cousin. Was so good!!
After the sun had gone down, Ndivho took me to the kraal/rondavel where his parents stayed. They had 3 altogether on their property. Inside I met his father, mother and some sisters. They also offered me a plate of supper which I devoured. Included in the meal was a type of plant I had never tasted before. It was called ‘delede’ if I remember correctly. It was similar to spinach, though a bit stringier and it had this somewhat slimy texture around it, I think that happens when you cook it. The sliminess threw me off at first I won’t lie but I ventured a taste which was like a weak spinach. I ate the whole plate of food but I cant remember if I ate all my delede, but I was grateful to have had supper and to have met his family. There was minimal talking as much of Ndivhos family couldn’t really understand English and I couldn’t understand them so after some minor translations thanks to Ndivho, I said thanks, goodnight then went to bed and left them to watching television.

Distance 47kms

No comments:

Post a Comment