Monday 2 September 2013

Day 39: Mafikeng into Botswana to Camp Phuduhudu

Seeing me off at Mafikeng police station.
Did me a little shop at the local superstore before heading towards the border gate of Ramatlabama which is about 25kms from Mafikeng. I was now headed into Botswana for 3 days. Clearly SA wanted me to stay because 200m from the border I got another flat tyre. Once that was fixed, I did the usual border crossing paper work and I was now in another country. And it pretty much looked the same as South Africa. I had found out about a place to stay from some 4x4 forums last night and got the directions whilst waiting at the border post. I made sure about all this before I lost signal connection seeing as I wasn’t bothering with roaming and such other high end shenanigans.
Officially in Botswana. Thats the border gate behind me.
I had been told to watch out for the drivers along this section of the road so I pulled out the reflector vest and pretty much wore it the whole time from this moment onwards till I got home. Regarding the drivers, there was nothing to be concerned about and I had no problems along the road.
Botswana! Country number 3.
Same flatness and vastnesss as yesterdays riding.
Plus it was safer than I had been told.
After about 30kms I came to the turn off that led me to the campsite. It led me to a farm where I met a bloke who said the camp site was just a little further away as he pointed into the bush. But it was within walking distance so was alright. He said I could just go there so long while he calls the actual owner who will come along later.  I was accompanied by a lady who worked there too. Near the end I was just picked up in a bakkie and taken to the site. Was quite a lekker sight. There are two chalets that sleep 4-8 each I think with all the trimmings. Communal kitchen, social area complete with braai place, chairs and bonfire with wood etc. This all over looked a section of the veld where any wild animals that were raised there could walk through. For the campers, our section had all the basics covered too. Decent patch of ground covered in grass plus a little ablution block. There was a little problem with the gas geyser but that was sorted out while I was there so I got my hot shower. Soon afterwards the owner came along.  He thought I was mad doing what I was doing but hey, I was doing it. After checking that all was I ok with everything he left.

Pretty decent place to camp.
Camp Phuduhudu.
Decent little shower and toilet facility just behind my tent.
The outside communal area. Cool place to enjoy aa chow once the fire had been made.
Happy to be in Botswana.
I then made myself a bonfire and ate a fat chow all prepared using the kitchen provided. Then the electricity went out. This didn’t actually bother me at all as I had my torch. I just sat and chilled in front of the fire drinking some coffee. Then some other people showed up who were friends of the owner and were passing through. We talked a bit in the kitchen under the soft light of a couple paraffin lamps. Then the electricity came back on. Then we said goodnight before heading to my tent.

Distance 55kms

No comments:

Post a Comment