Saturday 7 September 2013

Day 68: SOS Children’s Village to South Africa, Golela border post.

I had decided to carry on my journey today, or had I decided yesterday? So I got ready and said my goodbyes but just before that I got a quick malaria test just to be sure. I was happy to find out it was negative. Negative as it came back positive. Positive as that it came back negative. I am the king of circle writing. Ok, carrying on. While leaving with the realization that I hadn’t helped out as much as I'd hoped to, I thought how I could actually help out. What could I give to this particular SOS Childrens Village. I thought, well what about some bicycles? It made sense. I didn’t see any around and having one brought all sorts of fun and adventure, seeing as that was exactly what I was doing with one. Not that I was thinking that all the kids would just go on a round the country trip, though that would be awesome!! So it was decided that I would somehow get this place some bicycles. I figured about 2-3 bikes per house would be enough so that’s about 20-30. Anything more is just gravy. I let Nelson know about my idea and he totally approved. Now I just had to figure out a way to get those bikes. That I hadn’t thought of really but I reckon a fundraiser or some event or even if people donate any of their old bikes, I could accomplish this task. So that is what I am asking anyone reading this if they are interested. If you or anyone you know has any bicycles that they feel they would like to give away or know of anyone who is sitting on any funds that they don’t know what to do with (hey, I’m taking a chance here) then let me know. I know that it would be a cool gift to give them as it would give the kids something to enjoy, keep them physically active along with learning about bike maintenance and sharing and whatever else may come of it. Also if anyone who has fund raiser experience who would like to take the reins on this one, that would be awesome. I have never done something like this before and feel that it is a valid one worth pursuing. So with that goal in mind I said my goodbyes for now to SOS Childrens Village.
This young lady had a fun and serious attitude and I'm glad I captured that expression on her face. She was always testing my basic Xhosa greetings when I saw her which I faltered through quite a bit till right at the end. She helped out in the clinic.
The lovely nurse who gave me my malaria test.
Saying cheers to Nelson.
I had decided to just push for the border so that is what I did. It would be a long, long ride but thanks to it being pretty flat I managed to do it. I arrived at the Golela border gate and after the stamping set out to find a place to camp. I was hoping to just camp at the police station like I had 3 days ago but it wasn’t allowed plus I wasn’t feeling like waiting till after dark to find out if was going to be allowed anyways from the guy in charge. So I headed out the border post realizing I will prolly have to camp along the side of the road somewhere. It sucks to admit but I felt this strange sense of uneasiness being back in my own country, as if I was less safe. Either way I shrugged it off and focused on getting a place to stay.

The Lebombo mountains in the distance. It was the beginning of another long flat stretch.
With only minor ups and downs.
To the left.




Love that the 6th is a fish. Must have major attitude.
Win
Two little goat kids. Damn these things as with all other baby animals are cute. What the hell happened with human babies hey? ;p
So after a bit of talking from one bunch of people to the next I managed a place in a garden. I was also told that I could maybe stay inside the one section of the building when the current tenant came back from work. I was told I could get a bed and some water for a bath. I was immediately stoked as I really wanted a bath after such a long day. About an hour or so later the tenant arrived and invited me in. Ill go on record to say this was the dirtiest place I had decided to sleep in. The spider webs were so many that they had reached that hanging curtainy effect which was from all the collected dust over who knows how many years. Mmm, I thought. Clearly I had expected something else based on past experiences and somehow this was affecting what I thought would come my way when being invited to peoples houses. Silly silly mind and its silly wants. Anyways, I kindly accepted so I packed up my tent and took all my things inside as it would certainly be warmer, though I couldn’t help but think that inside my tent it was actually cleaner. (All part of the experience Jones. Yup) The tenant was clearly a low wage earner from what I could see as his bed was much like mine. A mattress on the floor, although he had two. Still, a beds a bed. I didn’t end up bathing or showering as I had hoped, but instead just did a basic clean with some hot water that was heated up for me. Then it was off to bed.

Distance 100kms

No comments:

Post a Comment