Saturday 7 September 2013

Day 66: Hlane Game Sanctuary to SOS Childrens Village, Siteki

Packed and ready to go.
More of the campsite.
Upon leaving I noticed a large groups of bats hanging from the one roof which was awesome to see, since they were quite visible and not in some dark cave. I also had a quick chat with a guy who was from overseas, Holland or Switzerland I think. He told me about his experience in Madagascar when I told him that I would like to cycle around that country too sometime after I'm done with this trip which was a lekker co-incidence. I was now off to Siteki which thanks to my stay last night wasn’t very far. Upon riding on the main road for a few kilometres I couldn’t help but laugh at the one sign that indicating that cyclists must be aware of lions and elephants. Where was this sign when I was entering the area yesterday I thought. Oh well, dodged those teeth I suppose.

Bats!!! Awesome bats.
Ok, move along now non-flyer. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Mmmm, Ill be back.
Would have actually been interesting to see a lion or elephant cross the road. And probably kak scary at times.
Onwards to Siteki.

I was now on the lookout for the SOS Childrens village and I was glad to see a sign pointing the way. It wasn’t actually in the town of Siteki but nearby and was quite conveniently placed near the road I would have to carry on riding when I left anyways. Siteki was up on a hill somewhat which I would get too much later. So I followed the signs and I was there within a few minutes.

Found it.
SOS childrens village. This is the clinic building.
SOS, Main office building.
Road that runs in front.
I went in and made myself known. I spoke with the secretary Thembisile who pointed me in the right direction. I then met with Nelson who was in charge of the general running of the place and I told him I was here to help in some way. As good as my intentions were, I realized much later that I should have actually let them know beforehand that I was coming. If anyone ever feels like doing something like this for a charity, a home,a cause or whatever, let them know you are coming first. That way they can actually make the most of your help. Ok, back to story.

I was welcomed and everyone was a treat to meet. The director wasn’t there but I would meet her the next day. She would make my visit somewhat official I think. I also met 2 girls from either the States or Canada who were there doing a social assessment assignment. Nelson then led me out and down to the one area where a group of guys were busy doing some gardening. He explained that this branch of the SOS Childrens Village consisted of 12 houses with about 10-12 children each which they look after. And each house has a house mother. And all the children when at the right age go to the schools right next to the SOS Childrens Village. Check out the website for info if you would like to help out.
http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org/where-we-help/africa/swaziland/siteki
http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/sponsor-a-child/africa/swaziland/child-sponsorship-background-from-siteki-swaziland
So I arrived at the garden which was a more communal garden as each of the houses had their own vegetable garden as I found out, which is pretty cool. Can’t go wrong with home grown fruits and veggies. I was introduced and left to help out with loosening the soil for whatever seeds would be planted at a later stage. I only did a small section before I was told that’s enough for now. I was then taken for lunch my Mr. Sanele (hope I remembered that right) who I would shadow for much of today and the next. He is the general handyman in the area so he addresses and fixes any problems pertaining to electricity, plumbing, general house and appliance issue etc that may happen throughout the SOS Childrens Village.
Me and Mr Sanele
Some of the chicks they also raise.
Some of the house in the village.
Lekker patch of lawn for fun and games.
Each garden has their own veggie garden.
Nothing beats fresh home grown.
Lunch was at the school kitchen and it was so good. If I recall correctly it was a fresh salad made from the vegetables grown in the garden with a generous portion of sweet potatoes and something else. May have been rice with a nice bean style mixture? Either way, I was super hungry and it went down well.
After a little rest I then followed Mr. Sanele around and saw how he helped out where needed. Some house had a problem with an electrical fault or a plumbing problem which he noted down if he wasnt able to solve right there. I saw the chicken enclosure where they raised their own chickens. I helped out with regards to some wiring the next day. It was pleasant speaking to Mr. Sanele and I enjoyed his company. A really down to earth man who got along with everyone around him.
Love his expression.
Me and my free lettuce.
Path between houses.
I was also clearly standing out once again as when the school children where let out to go home, I garnered many stares. Sometimes something was said or laugh or something else. Haha. Take your fill children.
Then it was time to go home and it was decided that I should stay with the secretary Thembisile instead of just camping on the grounds. Cool, I thought. So we got a lift to the main road where we caught a taxi into Siteki which took us up a long hill. I couldn’t help but be grateful that I wasn’t cycling this. The view from the top was quite cool as well and I couldn’t believe how flat this part of Swaziland was in general. It is what it is. Then we got out in town somewhere and walked the last part back to her house. Thembisile was also a wonderful lady to talk with. We arrived and I met this other girl who was staying with her. I can’t remember her name cause of my notes going missing but she was also a very soft spoken and kind individual. She was busy studying something regarding social development and wanted to help people. After supper I headed for bed as I would be leaving with Thembisile quite early in the morning.

Distance 16kms

No comments:

Post a Comment