Monday 2 September 2013

Day 48: Roadside camp to farm next to Limpopo River

Gettin closer to Musina.
Damn my bike is strong. Gaze in awe and wonderment at how it supports that baobab.
Many times that picture should have a human face.
I quickly rode to a nearby garage where I bought some supplies before pushing onto Musina or Messina as it was called for a while. I had been told to be on my guard whilst going through Musina but as with all the towns I had been through, I had no problems. I even scored a free bottle of energy drink and some bottled water from 2 guys I had a talk to at their one shop. The only thing I had to worry about were the trucks that were about to be released from Zimbabwe round about lunch time but I was headed out as that was happening.
But I gotta stop to take a photo.
Maybe next time Phumba.
I took the road heading south to Tsipise which was quite hilly and also a little dodgy as there wasn’t much shoulder to ride on. I had to get off this quickly, so I decided to swing left and take a gravel road again that led me next to the Limpopo river. I was told that this road wasn’t that good but it had actually been graded the day before so it was actually quite lekker. And a hell of a lot safer.
The road to Tsipise. Shoulder absent. Made for dodgy riding.
Baobabs may be a protected species but clearly they still victim to terrible graffiti in the Musina area. I mean, come on! If you gonna write the dark lords name, at least show some respect by getting your spacing and positioning correct. I'm sure he must have taken swift vengeance on these fools. ' No worthy meatbag, their incompetance is punishment enough. For now' .
Gravel in this case mean safe. Much safer.
So I got sweaty and dusty as always and passed over the Nzhelele river with Zimbabwe just on my left and it was again time to find a place to sleep. Lady luck would once again sort me out.
Shallow river crossing once again.
Getting hot and sweaty.
I came across a whole bunch of people who were in an open space to my left. This was a mini market going on. I stopped on the road for a moment and then I met Martin who approached me on his cool little four wheeler. Turns out he was a local tomato farmer in the area and this was payday for his workers. Made sense. I told him my story and asked if I could camp in his garden. He said no problem. On the way to his place he led me down to the Limpopo River which was virtually a river bed for a large part. I couldn’t believe it. Here I was standing in the Limpopo and right there, a 100meters or so was Zimbabwe. I could have just walked across and been in another country. Part of me wishes I had just to say I did but I left it and followed Martin back home.
The majority of what was the Limpopo river at the time. Little bit of water to the left nearer to Zimbabwe.
Looking across at Zimbabwe.
Borders? What borders?
I was once again met by a friendly collection of dogs including a super cute jack russel puppy. I set up my tent in the back with an awesome view of Zimbabwe in the distance which looked amazing as the sun went down. Martin farms mainly saladette tomatoes on about a 100hectars or acres he told me, as he pulled two out of his pockets, which have a fairly long shelf life so that helps quite a bit when it comes to shipping. I was also pleased to hear in his opinion, that this was the safest place in South Africa. It was refreshing to hear a really positive outlook from a fellow South African considering the many unfortunate stories one hears about South Africa and Zimbabwe. Looking back, my whole trip so far was all positive, even the random negative here and there. After my shower and chow I settled in to sleep with feint sounds of the pay day party happening in the distance. This would last about 2 days I was told, before the next one. Lekker I thought as I fell asleep.
See. Cuteness.
The rest of the pack.
View from where I camped.
Distance 85kms

No comments:

Post a Comment