Monday 2 September 2013

Day 49: Farm to Pafuri Gate, Kruger National Park. Section 2 complete!

Today was the day I would complete section 2 of my trip by reaching my goal of Pafuri Gate at the top of the Kruger National Park, and I was excited to get going. Even though I wasn’t allowed to go through the Park, I still made it a target to be reached. I was told by Martin to look out for hippos and crocs (hell yeah) when I crossed a river later. Cool, I thought. Maybe there was a calf I could steal.
Cheers you little scampers.
A little while later I arrived at the bridge and made out the hippos in the distance. I backtracked and went through a gate advising all sorts of caution. All I read was, ’Enter bearded traveler’. So in I went in and made my way down to the banks, and after a couple minutes I spotted the elusive ‘seekoei.’ And she had a calf. What luck I thought. Now if only I could get closer. So I left the area heading for the banks on the other side which was located on a golf course but was told  I need permission first. So in I wandered to meet the owner and to my surprise I saw 4 white lions in an enclosure. Wow! Lions today as well. Hell, I don’t need to enter the Kruger Park at this rate. Looking back at the pictures I can’t help but notice they looked a little thin. Plus they should be in a larger enclosure. Maybe a proper park? Kruger. Hint hint.
There be hippos and crocs in here.
Translation, Enter.
Baby hippo target in site.
That one donkey looks like I just caught it in the act of somekind.
Ppfffffft!
And just like that. White lions.
So I got permission, left my bag and cycled across the golf course towards the bank to get a closer look at the hippos and crocs who were also there, waiting for the chance to snatch the baby away. Not a chance with mommy hippo there. At first the other hippos retreated a bit into the water but then made their way back to where they were after they realized I wasn’t a threat. The big mama merely lay there with her calf beside her. Damn those animals are big. So I took my pics and headed back to collect my things before pushing on.
Scaring some hippos away. Step one done.
Calf target in site. Its now or never!!!
Plan foiled.
Maybe I should try getting them all to fall asleep first.
How far or close I was.
Ok, move along gingerbeard. Or else we send these crocs after you.
The 4th white lion.
5kms or so later I was back on tarred roads and this was my last stretch to the park. It was about 50kms which is a fair distance and it was already past midday I think. The road was pretty straight with minimal hills other than right at the end. I dined on some fresh watermelon which had unfortunately heated up from the blistering sun, but it was still refreshing and did its job.
Pass thanks. Not cycling some 20kms for that. Another big tree would come later.
Watermelon lady. I think her name was Elizabeth.
I arrived at the small town of Masisi and was surprised to see that a section of the road leading out of it towards the KNP had been washed away in the floods too. Damn, I wished I could have seen it. But luckily enough it was less of a mission to cross than the river bed I crossed yesterday. About 18kms later I was at the Kruger Park. Just before though I met a friendly chap whose bakkie was stocked full of watermelons who lived in the nearby area. Had a good talk and I think he offered me a watermelon but had to decline as where the hell was I gonna put the thing? Would have made for a good photo though.

Flood 1. Road 0. Just outside Masisi.
The final stretch of section two.
Finished the last stretch to Pafuri Gate and I was finally done with the 2nd section of my trip! From Alexander Bay all along the interior border as close as I could get to the Kruger National Park. 49 days and 3500kms later I had done it.(there was never any doubt you wouldnt Jones) From here on out, I was officially headed back to Cape Town.
Section 2 complete. Totally gets 2 thumbs up!!!
Kruger National Park. Pafuri Gate. Entrance denied.
The friendly staff welcomed me and I got an official pamphlet stamped to show I really had arrived. I was told I could camp outside the park entrance where there were other tents for the guys who worked in this section of the park, so I found a suitable piece of ground and threw up my tent. I was lucky to also score a shower that night, though I think they misunderstood me when I showed up. I think they were only expecting me to shower at 8oclock the next morning.
Gotta work on my camouflage.
For some reason I had thought I could try and get home now in 5 weeks at the current pace I was going. It had taken me 7 weeks to do what I thought at the time was the majority of my trip, so it should take me less time to get home right? How naïve I was. This was still me thinking it would be awesome for some silly reason as well (ego Jonesie) to try and get home after a total of 3 months. Not a chance as it turned out. Not a chance indeed. And it was all good.

Distance 63kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment